Fighting the rising liver illness epidemic
One-in-four adults has or will develop fatty liver disease. That’s 6 million Australians. So, chances are you know someone who has the condition.
If left untreated, fatty liver disease can lead to liver cancer, the fastest increasing cause of cancer death in Australia. For some, a liver transplant is the only treatment option. Of those who undergo a liver transplant, 10-13% will die within three years.
It’s a significant health issue, and one that our Liver Research Unit is committed to addressing. We’re producing results that can provide solutions for people who are suffering from an illness of the liver. Our innovative research could change lives. You can help progress this important work.
The liver is the underrated workhorse of our bodies. It performs around 500 functions in our body such as removing toxins and producing bile which aids in digestion of fat.
Your liver plays an important role in your overall health, but modern unhealthy diets containing excess fat and sugar put our hardworking liver under pressure. An unhealthy diet and other factors can put us at risk serious health problems such as fatty liver disease and liver cancer.
While our researchers are dedicated to discovering new treatments, the best currently available treatment is lifestyle changes. We care about your liver! You can care for it too with these tips from the GMRF Liver Research Team…
- Make time to exercise with a daily walk. Gradually losing 7% of your body weight can greatly reduce your risk of fatty liver disease.
- Change your diet. A Mediterranean style diet is recommended and includes fruits, vegetables, fish and whole grains, and limits unhealthy fats.
- Drink alcohol in moderation. Follow this good advice from the National Health & Medical Research Council - “For healthy men and women, drinking no more than two standard drinks on any day reduces the lifetime risk of harm from alcohol-related disease or injury.
- Talk to your GP about your liver. Knowledge is power, so find out if your liver is at risk.
- Support GMRF’s liver disease and liver cancer research to help save lives. There are too few treatment options available – you can change that! Donate Now
Our Liver Research Team
Director of Research
Professor Darrell CrawfordView full profile
Liver Disease Research Lead & Lab Supervisor
Dr Kim BridleView full profile
Haolu WangView full profile
Xiaowen (Tina) LiangView full profile
Lez BurkeView full profile
Dr Lu CaoView full profile
Liver Disease PhD Student
Raji BaidyaView full profile
Liver Research PhD Student
Afolabi AkanbiView full profile
Qi RuanView full profile