Enhanced health of the Australian community through the highest quality medical research.
To lessen the impact of disease today while also searching for the cures of tomorrow by:
- Working to alleviate the burden of the diseases directly impacting our veteran community
- Providing the infrastructure, governance and resources to support approved research endeavours
- Conducting and funding translational laboratory research; research that can have the quickest movement from ‘bench to bedside’
- Facilitating and supporting a culture of medical research within Greenslopes Private Hospital and other related partners through competitive scholarships and grants
- Delivering high quality clinical trials of emerging new therapies for the benefit of our patients and the wider community
- Sharing our results for the greatest benefit of all, thereby increasing community and corporate support for the Foundation and its research
Our Core Values
Excellence Integrity Relevance Innovation
In our vital work of facilitating discoveries, we remember and take inspiration from the discipline and dedication exemplified by our veterans.
A proud history of serving those who served for us
The Gallipoli Medical Research Foundation is dedicated to honouring a proud history of military service in Australian. We are based at Greenslopes Private Hospital, the former repatriation hospital in Brisbane. While the hospital now serves all facets of the community, it retains a rich history in veteran care.
The 112th Australian General Hospital officially opens on 2 February with the first 35 war patients admitted in March.
Following the end of World War II, the Repatriation Commission assumed administrative control of the hospital, which was renamed the Repatriation General Hospital, Greenslopes.
Greenslopes Hospital (the Repatriation General Hospital) became a teaching hospital of the University of Queensland with research commencing in that year.
The Greenslopes Private Hospital Veterans’ Research Foundation was launched.
The Gallipoli Medical Research Foundation was launched in May and took over the activities of the Greenslopes Private Hospital Veterans’ Research Foundation and represented a new era for research at Greenslopes Private Hospital.
The name Gallipoli is above politics and is part of Australian folklore. It is one of the few words spoken in Australia with something approaching reverence. Gallipoli reflects the Anzac tradition of ingenuity, mateship, courage and perseverance.
With the continued support of Greenslopes Private Hospital, we will endeavour to demonstrate these attributes so that the Gallipoli Medical Research Foundation serves as a lasting memorial to our forebears.